Festival 8: Day 1

This is the second in a 6 part series on my trip to Indio, CA for Phish’s Festival 8 at the Empire Polo Grounds. I’m only separating them out because it would be one long post to put it all together. They’ll be posted immediately as I finish them. I’ll link to my pictures from the festival in my final post. My other posts about Festival 8 can be found using the fest8 tag.

The first full day of the festival was Friday, October 30. The band was scheduled to play 2 sets of music, a full concert, starting at 7:30 pm. I woke up around 8:30 am along with the rest of the crew. A few of them had gone out to meet up with some people. Nick and I decided to check out the farmers market they had on site. Unfortunately, unlike most farmers markets, this one was a bit pricey. We both bought some strawberries and picked up a water bottle that we could use for free refills throughout the site. We then headed back to the RV for breakfast that consisted of bacon and eggs and our strawberries.

While hanging outside the RV, a guy we had never seen before came out of Max’s tent. We thought he had been wook’d (in this case, having a random wook decide to crash in your tent). Luckily, it was a friend of his.

After checking out what was in our little area, we took a pedi-cab over to another campsite to meet up with the rest of our crew and some other friends from Twitter at Annie and Greg’s trailer (@stringcheesemom and @gratefuldad5600). We met up with TJ (@tenacioustij) and Kat (@ChinaKatSunflwr) there along with Noah (@noah_s) and Kelli (@kt913). We chatted for a while and then decided to head back. On our way, Matt, Nick and I decided to check out the concert venue. The field was still closed off as final preparations were being made to the art installations, but we checked out the other vendors and I tried the FOAM, a pilsner brewed by Sierra Nevada just for the festival (it all sold out that one day). We also checked out the ferris wheel they had on site. The views of the festival grounds were awesome, as was the site itself in the middle of the desert surrounded by mountains. We then headed back to the RV to prepare for the concert that night.

The band came on about 15-20 minutes late and opened up with “Party Time”, a very fitting start to the festival. The highlights of this show for me were a rocking “Chalkdust Torture”, a great “NICU”, Page’s “Beauty of a Broken Heart”, an awesome “Wolfman’s Brother” segued into “Piper” segued into “Joy”, and the Burble that came out during “Harry Hood”. The Burble was a jelly bean shaped object with many white balloons that had lights inside of them that changed color to the music. It came out during the jam.

After the show, we went back to the RV and hung out for a while. I passed out around midnight and apparently, people were having a power hour about 3 feet from my head. I snored through the whole thing.

2 thoughts on “Festival 8: Day 1”

Leave a Reply